What makes Philippines unique is that it’s the only Christian nation in Asia being 90% as Christians (including those of different denominations)
I missed being surrounded by Christian practices specially that I was placed in countries that are predominantly Buddhist(Thai-Burma) and Hindu(India).. I have this feeling my next volunteer adventure will be in a Muslim country (why not! ^_^)
Anyhow, in celebration of holy week and easter, I’ve enumerated some churches I’ve visited in the Philippines.. It can be one of our tourist attractions (like what i felt when I saw buddhist and hindu temples xD)… but to us, a church is a refuge, a sacred place that charges our soul.. so we can spread love to the world again.
1. St James, Bolinao, Pangasinan – This church has a 400+ years old convent.. and floors are made of coffins xD.. What makes this memorable is that I’ve slept in the convent and I’m still alive :D.. Read my post here
2. Tagbilaran Cathedral in Tagbilaran, Bohol – I’ve observed that the people in the island of Bohol are very religious.. Everyone in the mall stops just to pray the Angelus at 6pm.. No wonder the church is always full packed every sunday. Oh ya, I saw a little murmuration miracle here after I went out of the church one day.
3. Nuestra Señora del Pilar Church in Zamboanga – It is open air and amazing..
4. San Juan Bautista Church in Calamba, Laguna – located just beside the house of our National Hero Jose Rizal in Calamba, Laguna, it has indeed a calm aura. It’s a favorite church because I’ve got lots of memories here since I hail from this part of the country.. *reminisce mode*
5. Don Bosco Church in Makati – sorry I don’t have a picture. I love going to this church when I was living in Makati. I enjoyed people watching too! xD.. Honestly, it was my haven and my soul feels calm just to be in that church.
But no matter, even if destiny will place me anywhere in the part of the world.. the church will always be in my heart.. I can just close my eyes, recharge my soul, say a little prayer so that afterwards, I can be ready to spread love again to the world.