I blogged about this a few months before.
But now that im a Filipino living in Thailand for quite sometime now, all I can say about the difference of Thailand and Philippines are:
1. Thailand is a Buddhist country, thus lots of temples or wats as they call it. In Pinas, since majority are christians, there are lots of churches. So instead of christian statues being sold in stalls here, its buddhist statues of course:
2. Thai people mostly doesn’t communicate in English.. so if you’re not really into sign language, you need to learn how to speak Thai. In Pinas, even though we’re shy and kinda nosebleeding on our Engrish, we still find a way to adjust and speak it.
3. They say Thailand was never colonized… where in Pinas had many invaders, spaniards, japanese, americans, etc… Are we that friendly??
4. Chiang Mai in particular, is like a mini united nations where all foreigners of shapes and sizes flock in. Its like boracay but a bit old fashioned and without the sea. And take note, its one of lonely planet’s top 10 cities to go in 2011… so talbog ang Boracay or Palawan tsk.. well choosing between polluted manila and chiang mai, i’d be honest, im lucky to be placed in this old city ^_^… but wait till foreigners discover Bohol ^_^
5. Prices here in Thailand are cheaper than in Pinas. Thank you to undocumented workers (ex, refugees from Burma) who work for meager salary just to get by.
6. IRRI (International Rice Reasearch Institue) is located in the Philippines but rice is being imported to Pinas from Thailand and Vietnam because there is not enough rice in the Philippines, is it because Filipinos dont want to farm anymore? Cant blame them. I do find it weird that the ones who produce food are at the bottom of the food chain.
7. And its easy to travel to neighbouring countries. Who would have thought you could travel to another country for 200 dollars? Well, we have cebu pacific naman :D
8. Thais eat bugs and worms, Filipinos eat duck embryos called balut :D YUM!
9. Street dogs are everywhere here! also in pinas :D… pero may breed ang mga asong kalye dito hanep!
10. Most people tend to judge white or light skin as the basis for beauty.. so if brown is your natural color, it means you need to buy whitening creams to be pretty.. fakers (ooops i hear thunders and lightning! xD)
I still have to determine if there exist crab mentality here in Thailand.. will update this post if i snoop something.
Well, Philippines and Thailand cannot be really compared because they have their own unique beauty. Its like same same but still different.
But we need to learn from each other I guess. Take the good stuff, throw the bad. Towards a better society, not just for our countries but for the whole world as well. What about you? What do you think are the difference between both countries?
Want to travel long term in Thailand? Check out the cost of living in that country.